Monday, April 18, 2011

Beehive Maths is Fun

Study a beehive and you will see
The mathematical genius of the bee.
The Hexagons that you’ll find inside
fit side, by side,
by side, by side.
This math is passed mysteriously
from worker bee to worker bee!
 Bees, Snails & Peacock Tails
by Betsy Franco and Steve Jenkins


This is our hexagon wall display. We cut out the hexagons by 
ourselves and made some bees to go on it. 
Which bees do you think are doing the waggle dance?
Which bees do you think are the worker bees?
What are the bees on the flowers doing?
What is the worker bees job?

We explored the hidden shapes and patterns found in a beehive.


Check out our beehive slideshow below.
 We made the beehive with lots of shapes.
When we ran out of hexagon shapes...
we discovered that 6 triangles make a hexagon.
And that 3 diamonds make a hexagon.
We also had some shapes that we didn’t know what they were.
Mrs Laburn told us they were trapeziums.
Well... 2 trapeziums make a hexagon.


5 comments:

Team 2a- the Awesome Explorers said...

Wow! Looks like you had heaps of fun studying insects Year 1!
Your insect art is gorgeous. Well done!
Ms Wilson
(mswilson123.blogspot.com)

Room 3 said...

iH Mrs Laburn.

Gina said...

I made a bee and some people made it exactly the
same as me.We punched them on the wall it was fun!

Amanda said...

As a beginning beekeeper, I loved this lesson. You did a great job not only teaching kids that bees make honey, but you also went deeper and showed kids how bees make the honey. I would love to post this lesson on my blog with a link to yours. Let me know if that is okay.

Amanda said...

This lesson was great. I love how learned more than honey comes from bees. I would love to post this lesson on my blog and a link to yours. Let me know what you think.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...